The legendary Elvis Presley returns to the big screen tonight as Elvis On Tour: 75th Anniversary Celebration debuts in a special presentation at theaters across the United States.
Presented by Warner Home Video, Elvis Presley Enterprises, and Fathom, the event features the newly restored for high definition Elvis On Tour, a special message to fans from Elvis’ ex-wife, and what promoters bill as “never-before-seen” footage of Elvis.
Warner Brothers confirmed earlier this week that Tuesday’s DVD and Blu-ray releases of Elvis On Tour will actually contain a slightly modified edition of the film. A live version of “Don’t Be Cruel” replaces the “Johnny B. Goode” rehearsal that originally opened 1972’s Elvis On Tour.
It is unclear whether the “Cruel Edit” opening will also appear in tonight’s showing of the movie. In 2000, Warner Brothers’ limited release theatrical showing of a new version of Elvis-That’s The Way It Is included a live performance of “Are You Lonesome Tonight” over the closing credits. However, they were unable to obtain rights to the song for use in the 2001 DVD release, replacing it instead with footage of Elvis hosting celebrities backstage after one of the Vegas shows.
We’ll find out soon enough if the Cruel Edit extends to the theatrical presentation or only applies to the home releases. For those of you able to make it, have fun at the show tonight!
* * *
I have to admit that Warner’s handling of the “Johnny B. Goode” debacle has dampened most of my enthusiasm for tonight’s event and next week’s home media releases. I just can’t seem to get pumped up again. I hope that changes by the time the lion roars.
* * *
Elvis On Tour Countdown
- Tonight: Elvis On Tour: 75th Anniversary Celebration theater event
- 5 days until Elvis On Tour (2010 Cruel Edit) Blu-ray and DVD releases
* * *
For more information (official sites):
- Fathom Events – Elvis On Tour 75th Anniversary Celebration
- Warner Home Video – Elvis On Tour Blu-ray and DVD releases
- Elvis On Tour on the Big Screen
Selected posts about Elvis On Tour from The Mystery Train:
- Elvis On Tour Blu-ray/DVD coming August 3
- Elvis On Tour: The official audio releases
- Elvis On Tour to hit US theaters on July 29
- It’s official! Elvis On Tour to rock almost every US state!
- One Night: More Elvis On Tour theater event and Blu-ray details
- Elvis On Tour, VHS Style
- Found and Lost: The official Elvis On Tour video outtake releases
- Elvis On Tour meets the wonder of Blu . . . but without Johnny B. Goode?
- Warner site still claims Elvis On Tour releases contain extra songs; no word on fate of Johnny B. Goode
- Johnny B. Gone: Warner Brothers confirms replacement of Elvis On Tour’s opening song