Follow That Dream, Sony’s collectors label for Elvis fans, recently announced a slate of new releases for this summer:
- A Boy From Tupelo: The Complete 1953-55 Recordings [the long awaited SUN project, with a 512-page book and 3 CDs] – August
- G.I. Blues: Volume 1 [2 CD set] – June
- From Hawaii To Las Vegas: Recorded Live In Rehearsal, January 25, 1973 [1 CD] – June
- That’s The Way It Is: Special Edition [2-LP vinyl set (weren’t we just talking about the original album?)] – June
- From Memphis To Hollywood [book detailing the making of 1960’s G.I. Blues] – June
There’s certainly much to be excited about in these releases, particularly the SUN project. In fact, to save for this expensive book and CD set, I’ve been holding off on Elvis purchases so far in 2012 in hopes that this might finally be the year.
We’ll have plenty of time in coming weeks to examine some of these releases in detail, but today, I want to have fun with titles and location, location, location. Dating back to 1961’s Blue Hawaii, dozens of Elvis albums have mentioned a place in the title.
The “From Here To There” style, though, began with 1969’s 2-LP set From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis (later released separately as Elvis In Person and Back In Memphis). Since then, several subsequent releases on both the main label and FTD have followed this trend.
Put them all together and you get a virtual Elvis travelogue:
- From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis (recorded/released 1969)
- From Nashville To Memphis (recorded 1960-1969/released 1993)
- From Sunset To Vegas (recorded 1974/released 2009)
- From Hawaii To Las Vegas (recorded 1973/released 2012)
- From Memphis To Hollywood (covers 1960/released 2012)
So, I wonder if it is possible to put the titles in an order where you can go from location to location without getting stranded?
1.) From Nashville To Memphis
2.) From Memphis To Hollywood
3.) From Sunset To Vegas
4.) From Vegas To Memphis
5.) From Memphis To Vegas
STRANDED in Vegas! Need a ticket to Hawaii.
1.) From Hawaii To Las Vegas
2.) From Vegas To Memphis
3.) From Memphis To Hollywood
4.) From Sunset To Vegas
STRANDED in Vegas again! Need a ticket to Nashville.
It appears there is no solution to this Rubik’s cube of Elvis titles. I might be stranded, but at least there’s good music on the radio.
FTD releases are available from various online stores. They originate in Denmark and then ship to retailers, so there is sometimes a two or three week delay after the release date before the items arrive for those of us in the US.
Reblogged this on PORTAFOLIO. BITACORA DE UN TRANSFUGA. 2000.2010.
Hey ty, did the mystery train got stuck? Try this one, a 2004 fan club release from The Netherlands ‘From Burbank To Honolulu’.
Yes, the train is definitely stuck . . . in a rut just off Sunset Boulevard.
Thanks for the suggestion about From Burbank To Honolulu. I wasn’t aware of that one, but it seems official enough to count. Let’s see if it helps…
1.) From Nashville To Memphis
2.) From Memphis To Vegas
3.) From Vegas To Memphis
4.) From Memphis To Hollywood
5.) From Burbank To Honolulu
6.) From Hawaii To Las Vegas
STRANDED in Vegas! Need a ticket from Vegas to Hollywood
Found more examples, all of which are limited edition (but official) promo CDs. Unfortunately, they also will not unlock the puzzle.
From Memphis To Canada
From Memphis To Austria
From Memphis To Venice