“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.” –From The Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson, July 4, 1776
America The Beautiful: A History of Elvis Presley Releases
- December 6, 1975, Live, Las Vegas, Midnight Show: Live In Las Vegas
- December 13, 1975, Live, Las Vegas, Dinner Show: Dinner At Eight
- December 13, 1975, Live, Las Vegas, Midnight Show: Single, b/w “My Way”
- December 14, 1975, Live, Las Vegas, Midnight Show: Fashion For A King
- February 8, 1976, Memphis: The Jungle Room Sessions (incomplete)
- April 22, 1976, Live, Omaha: America
- July 3, 1976, Live, Fort Worth: Rocking Across Texas
- July 30, 1976, Live, New Haven: New Haven 76
- October 18, 1976, Live, Sioux Falls: A Minnesota Moment
[Information source: Elvis In Norway Session Notes]
For spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountains, majesty,
Above the fruited plains,
God shed His grace on thee,
And He crowns thy good,
From sea to shining sea
–From “America The Beautiful,” Elvis Presley song, 1975 (written by Katharine Lee Bates & Samuel Ward)
UPDATE: Check out today’s entry of The Sheila Variations blog for another look at Elvis Presley’s “America The Beautiful.”
4 thoughts on “From sea to shining sea”
Hi Ty! Happy Fourth of July!!! Love this song! Absolutly fantastic version from Elvis, Powerful, emotional, and above all Patriotic! Every one I’ve sent this song too replys back with words like, Awesome, Stunning, or Beautiful, and I agree on all counts! Listened to it quite a few times today, excellent performance and Vocals!! Take care Ty, have a safe and happy fourth!! TCB!!
Thanks, George. I had a great ol’ time on the Fourth… doing nothing! Mostly just did my best to stay cool in the house. Been riding a heatwave here. Hope yours was good, too.
Ty, I missed the comment section earlier on the 4th of July……..thanks so much for printing the wonderful verse of “America the Beautiful”……..when I read the words,………… I could hear Elvis singing along! TYVM!
Welcome aboard the train, Clementine! I always hear Elvis when I read the lyrics to that particular song – one of the first Elvis songs I can ever remember hearing.
Comments are closed.